Did you know that the demand for carpenters is rising in Australia? According to recent data, the country is facing a shortage of skilled carpenters. As a result, the demand for practitioners of this art is growing daily.
Many prospective students who want to pursue a CPC30220 – Certificate III in Carpentry need clarification regarding the future of carpentry jobs in Australia. So today, we will clear these confusions regarding the career prospects of carpenters.
In this article, we will talk about the main job responsibilities and job benefits. We will also talk about the 04 main reasons why the demand for carpenters will increase.
The Main Job Responsibilities of a Carpenter in Australia
There are different categories of carpenters in Australia. As a result, one carpenter may have different duties than the other. The job roles also depend on the experience of the carpenter. More experienced practitioners usually handle bigger projects. Master carpenters often supervise large projects and mentor apprentices.
However, most carpenters have had a common set of responsibilities at least once in their lives. Some of the main job responsibilities are the following:
- Make furniture products using carpentry materials like wood
- Add decorative elements according to the project requirement
- Install and repair doors, cabinets and other wooden structures
- Learn how to operate a number of carpentry tools and use them
- Follow a set of safety regulations during work
Carpentry Job Benefits
Carpentry can be a physically demanding job. However, the rewards are high as well. A large number of Australians have chosen this occupation due to its amazing job benefits. So let’s take a look at some of the job benefits as a carpenter:
- Great financial benefits (average annual salary of around $75,000, according to Talent.com)
- No fixed working hours like a 9 to 5 job
- An opportunity to show your creativity through your work
- Work on a diverse set of unique projects and assignments
04 Reasons Why the Demand for Carpenters Will Increase in Australia
You now know why many Australians want to build their careers as carpenters. Now let’s go through the 04 main reasons why the demand for carpenters will keep increasing in Australia.
1. A Massive Shortage of Skilled Labor
There is a huge shortage of skilled workers in this sector. A significant number of Australian carpenters are employed in the construction industry. This industry is facing an overall skilled labor shortage. Businesses need more carpenters in the coming years, so there will also be more job openings. This situation has been caused due to following:
- Most modern Australians want to avoid jobs having manual labor
- More youths are pursuing University degrees
- The growing interest in other trending fields like IT
2. Job Openings in the Construction Industry
The majority of carpenters are employed in the construction industry. This industry is booming in most regions of Australia. The construction sector took a hit during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the situation has greatly improved in recent days. Some of the main duties of a construction carpenter are:
- Fitting wooden structures like doors, stairs and windows
- Take part in the renovation of wooden structures
- Understand the blueprints and work with other construction workers
3. Different Carpentry Specialisations
As mentioned before, there are different types of carpenters based on their specialisations.. Most carpenters use wood as the main working material. However, others may use synthetic materials as well. Carpenters are also classified based on the type of project that they take on. Some of the main types of carpentry jobs in Australia are:
- Joiner carpenter
- Formwork carpenter
- Rough carpentry
- Finish carpentry
- Framework carpenter
- Green carpenter
4. Increasing Business Opportunities
With the construction industry getting back on track after the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses are looking for experienced carpenters to work on new projects. Carpentry businesses are receiving more orders, and there will be more business opportunities. Some of the ways you can find new business opportunities in carpentry are:
- Build more connections in the industry
- Build a better promotional strategy
- Develop your reputation in the industry
How You Can Become a Qualified Carpenter
One of Australia’s most popular carpentry courses is the CPC30220 – Certificate III in Carpentry. Several Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) offer this course through online or face-to-face classes.
Before choosing a course or training provider, you should conduct overall research. You can search for phrases like “Certificate III in Carpentry cost” or “Certificate III in Carpentry Australia” online.
We hope you now have a clear idea of why the demand for carpenters in Australia will keep increasing. The future of this occupation is bright, as there will be more career and business opportunities in the coming years. It can be said that carpentry jobs will keep growing at a healthy rate in Australia.
If you’re planning to build your career as a carpenter, you can enroll in a course to obtain a CPC30220 – Certificate III in Carpentry. Make sure you get your certification from a recognized institution like a Registered Training Organization (RTO). All the best!